I'm having trouble sleeping (2007-04-06 02:45) so It's time to rant.
Modern keyboards suck. The only people who will deny this are the people who make or sell them. Here's a list of what is wrong with them.
It wasn't always this way. Hardware manufacturers made products to last. The most noted was the IBM model M series with the bucking spring key switches.
- They are flimsy. I had one crack when the cat jumped on it.
- The labeling on the keys is painted on and wears off quickly.
- They have useless keys. Everything done with the windows and multimedia keys can be done with chords of standard keys.
- They provide no aural or tactile feedback
- They are too light. I don't like having to reposition the keyboard during normal use
There were others that used Alps sliders (Focus, Dell, Fujitsu). They aren't as sturdy as the IBMs but quit clickey. Cherry switches are supposed to be good but I've never seen one.
- They provide tactile and aural feedback.
- They are also tanks. You can beat a man to death with one, plug it in and type away.
- The labeling is molded into the key with a contrasting color of plastic
- They are heavy, something like 5 lbs.
- They have fewer useless keys than most modern keyboards
This is the ideal keyboard. I know there are many religious issues here, anyone who disagrees with me is an evil heretic and will be going to hell.